Sunday, September 12, 2004

 

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.

The kids came home with the fundraising envelopes on Friday, the dreaded annual affair where you get to select overpriced items from a glossy catalog on the basis of guilt, pay through the nose, then wait an unreasonable amount of time for the stuff to be delivered, only to discover it's schlock-house stuff. Let's look at the multitude of levels on which this is a really bad thing:

Frankly, I don't want any of the crap in the catalog. I'm still using last year's wrapping paper, and if I want chocolate there's an excellent chocolatier in my town who's also quite reasonably priced. If I want to bake, I would much prefer to use real vanilla than the artificial stuff some schools peddle. I also don't want to pay an inflated price for something where altogether too much of that money is going to the fundraising company instead of the school itself. I unequivocally refuse to abuse my personal and professional relationships to peddle this junk.

Make my life easy. Send a note home, tell me how much you expect for a contribution from my family. Maybe, maybe, I'll write a check if I feel it's an appropriate contribution. But lose the candy sales....



|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search