Tuesday, October 05, 2004

 

RIP Rodney

I tell you, I get no respect. I opened up a fortune cookie and found a summons. I get into a cab and asked him to take me where there's some action; he takes me to my house. When I was born, I was so ugly that the doctor slapped my mother. I'll tell you one thing, I know how to satisfy my wife in bed, yeah, I leave. And so on.

Damn, this guy was funny. Most of the comics with real style are gone now, Hackett, Henny, Rodney. As much as everyone copped or copied their tag lines, these guys really defined stand-up. Hackett played the little imp to perfection, think about the memorable bit on the Carson show when he did the immortal "wax job" joke during a commercial break. Carson and the audience were in stitches throughout the whole next segment and no conversation of substance could take place. Henny and Rodney mastered the henpecked husband genre (although of course Henny kept it much cleaner than Rodney, but as much as he himself was the punchline, Henny was the definer of the genre). Rodney, well, just coming out and adjusting his tie could send an audience into hysterical laughter. Who can hold a candle to Rodney amongst the comedians still around? George Carlin, Jackie Mason, maybe Seinfeld, maybe Mal Z. Lawrence (Mal's probably the last of the real Catskills comics).

One thing's for sure, heaven's going to be a funnier place tonight.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search