Tuesday, November 30, 2004

 

From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it.

Off to Beantown for a couple of days of meetings and discovery of the situation on the ground at Respected New Client; hopefully things won't be as farked as they usually are in this type of situation, but nothing surprises me in this day and age. Client's looking at some hot new replication technology, and just might be willing to spring for the bandwidth to support it. Problem here is that I'm having some issues getting some enterprise database code from them (there seems to be something funky in one of the vendor's load balancers that points my home IP to their flakiest server; in the worst event I'll get the code at the hotel or from Mom's when I come back).

I've been messing with another enterprise DBMS on Linux the past couple of days. The vendor did something very smart; they provided the database to me as RPMs, instead of a set of modules that need to be relinked. Took a grand total of about 10 minutes to install and get ready to create an instance. Note to the database vendor who provides code that needs to be relinked - follow the example of your competitor. There are a bunch of sites out there that offer workarounds for the problems with your Linux installer, but the plain fact remains that your installer should work without kvetching. I've done more than my share of administering *nix boxes and know that occasionally you have to tweak a makefile, but come on, consistently failing at a critical step of the install and needing to retry after opening a shell and editing the makefile? Sorry guys. Not cool. I should note that the test instance of Linux for the DBMS I'm messing with is SuSE, which makes it doubly sweet that the RPMs worked painlessly. I've grown to prefer the SuSE distribution lately, and other than 9.1 and 9.2 not working with VMWare 4.0 (I'm getting ready to upgrade to 4.5, I'll probably do so after the holidays) I've had some great results with 9.0, patched and have gotten a nicely consistent, stable build out of it that's made life very easy for testing various Linux toys. Make a gold copy, and you're ready to rock for repeated installs.

I miss the family already.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search