Monday, November 22, 2004

 

Secretly, I wanted to look like Jimi Hendrix, but I could never quite pull it off

Gotta head up to Beantown today for a meeting with some honchos of Respected Even Newer Client (like C-level) so let's quickly take a look at Rolling Stone magazine's idea of the top 500 songs of all time for a good laugh....

Otis Redding's "Try A Little Tenderness" is way down at #204. Absolutely fucking criminal.

Archie Bell and The Drells' "Tighten Up" is at #265. Let's take a look at some obviously better songs below that on the list:

Some curious omissions of Beach Boys songs - no "I Get Around" or "Help Me Rhonda".

Unsurprisingly, "Hey Jude" is the highest ranking Beatles song. Some huge omissions here too, "Paperback Writer", "I Feel Fine", "Day Tripper", "Nowhere Man" being the most egregious.

The Bee Gees only get a couple of Saturday Night Fever-era tracks on the list.

No "Turn, Turn, Turn" from The Byrds.

Eric Clapton gets "Tears In Heaven" and "Layla" (thankfully the original version).

They actually gave Eminem a couple of slots on this list. That's enough to invalidate it for me.

Mrs. Ritchie thankfully only got one slot. (There's a double-entendre in there that I don't necessarily want to visualize).

Thankfully there was good representation of James Brown and Ray Charles on the list. There were various anti-confections that have annoyed the heck out of me over the years (e.g. "Rapper's Delight", which I think is supposed to annoy any person who lives by the phrase "It's got a backbeat you can't lose it"). Too much Elvis on the list for my taste. Too litle Doors. And of all things, "Twist and Shout" isn't on the list, neither Isley Brothers or Beatles.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search