Friday, December 10, 2004

 

At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom.

A quick perusal of some links found that DAK is back. Always liked getting Drew's catalogs back when, and I bought a bread machine from them about 12 or 13 years ago. Other than the R2D2 appearance of the thing it actually wasn't bad at all (the egg bread recipe was a decent facsimile for challah if you couldn't get out to a bakery) although I didn't care for the dough paddle baking into the bread and having to tear the crust to get it out. He's got a phono interface that will plug between a turntable and your PC's sound card, and I'm toying with the idea of picking it up, as there's still some vinyl in my collection that is still unreleased in any digital format. I'm really considering it for a couple of bits of vinyl that I haven't purchased as of yet (although I see them periodically on eBay). Those discs are Christine Nelson's album with "Marvin" (see way back about 6 months ago for my revelation on that) and Kai Winding's "Soul Surfing", with Kenny Burrell. Burell is a very tasteful jazz player, and as much as I hate to admit it, I really do like Winding's version of "More", which does have some RnR credentials (the lead part on Winding's version was played on an ondioline, a very similar instrument to the clavioline best known as the "string" sound on Del Shannon's "Runaway"). Some people despise anything that Creed Taylor touched (especially his work on Wes Montgomery's canon) but it's an interesting record to me. Sort of lounge-ish.

Back home again, but back up to Lurch Country on Monday. DVD cued up for review is "Focus Live In America", which of course doesn't feature Jan Akkerman (but does have plenty of "Moving Waves" on it). I also was supposed to have Glass Hammer's "Lex Live" cued for review this weekend but Amazon goofed and sent one of their earlier CDs instead (most unusual for Amazon, as I've been ordering from them since 1996 and have never had a goofed order before; must be because it's the holiday season and they're scrambling). I actually tried purchasing the DVD from a local shop which is usually good about having obscurities such as this, but apparently their distributors can't get it for some reason (the store thinks it's a fan club only release, however, I've seen other obscurities ordinarily available only from the artist or producer pop up on Amazon; one particular DVD especially, although there was some minor grumbling about the lower margins associated with having Amazon visibility).

And finally, glad to see VoxTalks back up and running.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search