Tuesday, December 07, 2004

 

What's another word for thesaurus?

Ahhh, the joys of the road again. Same lovely chain hotel as last week, although the room's on a higher floor and a touch quieter. The project continues to stumble along, as we take a look at various alternatives, including using the new high-speed import/export utility of the database in concert with file and block level replication, or using the native message queueing-like database replication technology, which is really neato-whizbang (I rather like the pub-sub features of it) but this can quickly turn into a DBA nightmare (building a series of scripts to handle a full mesh of the various databases), especially when building this beast in concert with the more standard HA techniques preferred by this database vendor. It's not a high-pressure environment, so I can't complain, and I've got a good wingman working with me. It's mostly RTFMing at this point to make an intelligent call as to what we're going to do, but we can already see that the client has probably overstated the actual daily transactions applied to the current database, therefore I needn't sweat about needing some very expensive (and ultra-long lead time) OC12 circuits (as expensive as OC12s are, trust me, for the distances involved here the MRC would probably exceed the GNP of the type of country that generates regular supplies of insurgents, militants and activists).

From Broadband Reports, we find an article entitled France Telecom Signs IPv6 Clients. I haven't had my coffee yet, so give me a bit to come up with a good surrender joke related to this.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search