Friday, January 21, 2005

 

Mayonnaise: One of the sauces which serve the French in place of a state religion.

A doctor's appointment looms this AM, plus some commitments over lunch and early afternoon make this a short shrift day at least until late this afternoon. I decided to hit Buy It Now on a Yamaha sound module slash sequencer on Fleabay, as I'm darned curious to see if I can make "Baba O'Riley" happen for the band. I've actually found two other very well orchestrated MIDI files, one for Procol Harum's "Conquistador" and the other for the Left Banke's "Walk Away Renee" which I'll play with on this thing eventually, but the Who song is my priority. Worse comes to worse it goes right back out on Fleabay again if it doesn't meet my needs, but hey, gotta have some fun.

My friend's office computer has been purged of CoolWebSearch and WhenU, and hopefully it'll stay that way. I bookmarked BOClean's site and dropped a gentle hint about it. My other friend's computer is acting totally weird, in that it can't get to certain sites, but there's no spyware infection, no Hosts file, the box is basically clean. Basic connectivity to the provider is OK, as e-mail is flowing between us, and I was able to ping my friend via Skype, but without taking a look at the box (it's a laptop) I have no idea of what's going on. Ordinarily not a problem, but said laptop is about 80 miles from me, and said friend is a frummie, Friday nights and Saturday are out for troubleshooting. I'm probably going to sign up for the free trial of RemotePC to help out, as there are no time limits on that free trial, unlike GoToMyPC's sixty minute hard stop.

Our Crack Sales Team is still trying to reach a Go/No Go with Esteemed Client on continuing our little endeavor. Esteemed Client is squawking about network latency, which in their case is laughable (Central Europe to the Boston metro area latency is about 125 ms, not bad at all), plus they've got beaucoup bandwidth (an OC-3, to be precise). Not my fault if they're using a chatty latency-sensitive protocol, we didn't design it, and we don't have the source to fix it. Not to mention their original idea was dismissed as utterly unsupportable by the central vendor. Needless to say I'm enjoying the relative peace and quiet of the situation right now.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search