Tuesday, March 01, 2005

 

Reason #436 Why I Hate To Fly

Flying faulty jumbo across Atlantic saves BA £100,000

OK, so the plane loses an engine on takeoff from LA, but the pilot decides to fly across the Atlantic instead of risking a fine for delaying the passengers. Pilot realizes that the extra drag from flying lower and with increased rudder means a fuel consumption problem which requires an emergency landing in Manchester.

Let me guess, the local enviro-whackos would've gone nuts if he dumped fuel near LAX and returned, right?

I find it hard to believe that any pilot would risk such a long flight with his aircraft in an impaired condition so soon after takeoff without serious incentive to do so.

Safety first, please.

Unrelated, I happened to download a "sticky notes" program for the High Altar last night and I was rather impressed by the way MS AntiSpyware picked up on the way the program was trying to install itself to start at boot time. It's a benign program, but I liked the way MS AntiSpyware gave plenty of warning about what it was trying to do and allowed me to manage a whitelist / blacklist. As to whether I'll keep this program, I don't know, depending on how much use I get from it (anything to get the thirty odd sticky notes off the monitor) and whether it causes any instability (a previous program called "Stickies" worked fine with the Win2K boxes here, but caused instability on the High Altar and necessitated an uninstall).

I had my guitar tech do a full setup on the Epi Riviera 12, and the action is wonderful on it now. The relief on the neck is suboptimal (the first two frets are a tiny bit out of spec) so there's a touch (just a touch, mind you) of "slappiness" if you play way up the neck. This wasn't really a concern playing the lead on "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better" (yeah, I know, wrong guitar for that one, but what the heck) and it sounds gorgeous capoed. My tech recommended keeping very light strings on the guitar (I tend to play with either .010s or .012s on most of my guitars, the guitar came set up with .009s) and I'll take his advice. I'll probably swap the strings out for Elixirs one of these days; it's a big contrast to my Rickenbacker, where I slap a set of Ricky 12 flatwounds on every three years whether it needs them or not. Since people are finally taking delivery of the 360-12C63s (someone on the Rickenbacker forum posted pictures of his, man, is that guitar beautiful) it might just be the impetus for me to flip the old 360-12 for a C63. Not that I don't love my '78 360-12, but that damn 'R' tailpiece makes chaging strings a chore and an exercise in frustration. The C has the trapeze tailpiece which will make life a lot easier.

As I noted yesterday, my minor procedure is tomorrow AM, so I won't be posting until Saturday or Sunday, depending on the recovery. Needless to say I'm not looking forward to it, but it'll resolve some major pain that's been going on for almost a year. I'll get a good jump on the Stephenson book while I'm laid up and I've got a couple more coming in from Amazon (they're supposed to be here today, but who knows with the snowstorm). I've also got a couple of CDs coming in with the order, the King Crimson 1969-74 retrospective (I have the first album already, but it's very hard to find "Lark's Tongue in Aspic", plus there are some live tracks that seem interesting), and also a Faces compilation (not the five CD box set, as there's a lot of filler on that; brings up an interesting tangential point - why is it so hard to find the Small Faces' "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake" in a "normal" CD release format? Lots of imports and special editions, media catalog management being a very interesting study)

Catch you all sometime on the weekend. It may be a short post, just saying I'm here, but I should be fully back to myself and loaded for bear for Monday AM.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search