Wednesday, May 11, 2005

 

Wall Street, n. A symbol for sin for every devil to rebuke

Day 2 with Vonage, and again uneventful, the way I like it. Their SimulRing feature works nicely with my cell phone. I reran the speed tests and sure enough, they were better in the evening, back up to my normal up/down levels. The VPN shouldn't chew up that much bandwidth when idle, so I was a bit puzzled as to the drastic speed reduction, but since I know it's an instantaneous measurement, it's nothing to get excited over. I will trend it for a while to see if there's any pattern I can uncover, but so far, things are as uneventful as I like. There is a little crackliness on certain conversations, but not as bad as some cellular or cordless conversations.

Unusual amounts of management administrivia yesterday interrupted my constant flow of conference calls (although I was able to duck a particularly soporific one with some of our EMEA business partners as a result, so I can't complain too loudly). I'm supposed to complete some training class, however, every time they want me to take this class I'm too busy doing real work (little things called clients do tend to take priority in my schema) and every time I'm free to take said class, they've either got busy work (proposals) or there's some freeze in the training budget (which is of course the biggest load of crap; I could understand it if it was an external class, but this is something which is internally developed and pretty much canned curriculum). Training is of course a huge sore point with me, as there were times back in the late 90s when you could actually get some hands-on training with some of the external providers (I remember taking the Cisco network troubleshooting course from Chesapeake back then - the bosses were squawking at the cost of the course, under $2K IIRC, but damn, that was a great course with a great instructor. Not only that, the course was held about eight blocks from my esteemed asset management client, Happyland, so I was able to walk over on my lunch breaks and actually get some billable work done to keep the bean counters happy).

In the process of skulling out some major architecture decisions here. This isn't going to be easy...

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search