Monday, June 13, 2005

 

Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.

Seeing as how I've been busy getting a life and busy with work stuff, no surprise on the slowing down of posting, but since things are relatively cool, I have no major complaints. A rather interesting twist to my current project this afternoon has got me skulling out a very neat conversion of an existing solution to an Enterprise Service Bus scenario, which will keep me busy for the next couple of days doing a feasibility study. My kind of work, pure brainpower, lots of pretty Visios, and researching whether or not some half-baked idea might turn into something totally useful.

I anticipate a couple of PEBKAC problems this week, as I helped a couple of friends out (who are unfortunately as clueless as they come - one good friend ended up doing something very dumb, putting a P2P client on a work machine - said friend is the boss of the applicable business, so nothing to fear from management, but when I pointed out how vulnerable that thing was, said friend had a cow). Said friends are utterly competent in their professional endeavors, however, they haven't a clue about technology. Besides, why put a P2P client on anyway? Be a mensch about it and buy the damned CD if you absolutely must have it, or listen to the snippets on Amazon and make a decision.

Which brings me to the CD du jour, the Mars Volta's "Francis The Talking Mute". I got through the first track, about a 15 minute opus that reminded me of lower-case Dream Theater while in the car this AM, and while there are some interesting concepts there, it's also like Dream Theater for me in the sense that it's complicated stuff that is not what you want to put on just for a relaxing, fun listen. It's got that industrial rock thing going, which for someone like me whose idea of out there is King Crimson makes it a tough go. I will listen to the rest of it either tonight or tomorrow and report back. I do have to admit that I like the pun in the title - once I saw a couple of Francis The Talking Mule movies I never really liked watching Mr. Ed again (although Connie Hines was indeed hot).

According to CNN, Mr. Jackson has been found innocent as I write this. Someone's lack of erudition is showing (or is it perhaps a touch of bias?). No such thing as an innocent verdict - it's "Not Guilty". My natural assumption is that there will be a recycling of a comment often heard about the OJ Simpson verdict - "We the jury find the murderer Not Guilty". At this point, I can only hope that the jury felt that the prosecution did not prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. I sincerely hope that this entire affair causes Mr. Jackson to reform his ways. Beyond that, it's all over but for the pontificating by the talking heads.

I suppose I'll probably go off on an Ayn Rand jag with post titles now.....

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search