Thursday, June 23, 2005

 

The AFI List of Best Movie Quotes

I couldn't resist.

1. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," "Gone With the Wind," 1939.
GWTW never did a lot for me. Too cliched.

2. "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse," "The Godfather," 1972.
Even though overused it's a classic.

3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am," "On the Waterfront," 1954.
Ditto.

4. "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore," "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.
I've begun to run hot and cold with The Wizard of Oz, it's no longer that special occasion that it used to be to watch it. In small doses it's fine, but when it gets ubiquitous its oleagenous qualities come out.

5. "Here's looking at you, kid," "Casablanca," 1942.
I'm a sucker for Casablanca, so my only quibble is with the placement in the list.

6. "Go ahead, make my day," "Sudden Impact," 1983.
A personal favorite.

7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up," "Sunset Blvd.," 1950.
Not one of my favorite movies by any stretch. However, it is a great line.

8. "May the Force be with you," "Star Wars," 1977.
Dreadfully overused. Mel Brooks skewered it properly.

9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night," "All About Eve," 1950.
Ditto #7.

10. "You talking to me?" "Taxi Driver," 1976.
Dreadfully overused.

11. "What we've got here is failure to communicate," "Cool Hand Luke," 1967.
A personal favorite.

12. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning," "Apocalypse Now," 1979.
Another big personal favorite.

13. "Love means never having to say you're sorry," "Love Story," 1970.
Never liked the movie.

14. "The stuff that dreams are made of," "The Maltese Falcon," 1941.
Great stuff.

15. "E.T. phone home," "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," 1982.
Ghastly syrup.

16. "They call me Mister Tibbs!", "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.
Absolute dignity. Great stuff.

17. "Rosebud," "Citizen Kane," 1941.
Overrated.

18. "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!", "White Heat," 1949.
Another great personal favorite. Although my personal favorite Cagney performance is in another film ("One Two Three") this is perhaps the best gangster film of all time.

19. "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!", "Network," 1976.
Aged badly.

20. "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship," "Casablanca," 1942.
Casablanca. What else can I say....

21. "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti," "The Silence of the Lambs," 1991.
Best line in that movie, but the rest of it wasn't that great.

22. "Bond. James Bond," "Dr. No," 1962.
Fuckin' A. The epitome of cool.

23. "There's no place like home," "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.
See #4.

24. "I am big! It's the pictures that got small," "Sunset Blvd.," 1950.
See #7.

25. "Show me the money!", "Jerry Maguire," 1996.
Never liked the movie.

26. "Why don't you come up sometime and see me?", "She Done Him Wrong," 1933.
Classic stuff. Great attitude.

27. "I'm walking here! I'm walking here!", "Midnight Cowboy," 1969.
Not one of my favorites by a longshot.

28. "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By,"' "Casablanca," 1942.
The line from Casablanca.

29. "You can't handle the truth!", "A Few Good Men," 1992.
Not one of my favorites.

30. "I want to be alone," "Grand Hotel," 1932.
Classic, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.

31. "After all, tomorrow is another day!", "Gone With the Wind," 1939.
I've already expressed my opinion of GWTW.

32. "Round up the usual suspects," "Casablanca," 1942.
The reaction shot and Claude Rains' delivery make this one of the best moments ever on film.

33. "I'll have what she's having," "When Harry Met Sally...," 1989.
One of the best one-liners ever. Brilliant casting of Estelle Reiner.

34. "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow," "To Have and Have Not," 1944.
Still smoking after all these years.

35. "You're gonna need a bigger boat," "Jaws," 1975.
Although the movie's aged badly, I still like the line.

36. "Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!", "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre," 1948.
Yeah, it's a cliche, but I love it.

37. "I'll be back," "The Terminator," 1984.
I suppose this one's going to be in the same category as "Rilly Big Shew" eventually.

38. "Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth," "The Pride of the Yankees," 1942.
How can any baseball fan watch this without choking up? The recent book shows that Eleanor Gehrig didn't get along at all well with her in-laws, so I'd rather just remember Lou this way - besides, Teresa Wright was a babe. Ludwig Stossel and Elsa Janssen are favorites from Casablanca as well.

39. "If you build it, he will come," "Field of Dreams," 1989.
A bit overused.

40. "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get," "Forrest Gump," 1994.
OK, I guess.

41. "We rob banks," "Bonnie and Clyde," 1967.
A classic. Haven't seen it in years.

42. "Plastics," "The Graduate," 1967.
Great line.

43. "We'll always have Paris," "Casablanca," 1942.
Casablanca. Needs no elaboration.

44. "I see dead people," "The Sixth Sense," 1999.
Not one of my favorites.

45. "Stella! Hey, Stella!", "A Streetcar Named Desire," 1951.
Cliche.

46. "Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars," "Now, Voyager," 1942.
Not one of my favorites.

47. "Shane. Shane. Come back!", "Shane," 1953.
I had an overwhelming desire to scream this at the end of "Pale Rider".

48. "Well, nobody's perfect," "Some Like It Hot," 1959.
Good line, but it's not my favorite Billy Wilder movie by a long shot.

49. "It's alive! It's alive!", "Frankenstein," 1931.
Great stuff, even if overacted.

50. "Houston, we have a problem," "Apollo 13," 1995.
Perhaps not eligible, as it's taken directly from what happened. Still an inspiring film - I met Gene Krantz a few years back, and he's a top-notch guy still - very inspiring.

51. "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?", "Dirty Harry," 1971.
Great stuff.

52. "You had me at 'hello,"' "Jerry Maguire," 1996.
Yawn.

53. "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know," "Animal Crackers," 1930.
Why the first Groucho quote is all the way down at #53 is totally beyond me.

54. "There's no crying in baseball!", "A League of Their Own," 1992.
One baseball film I don't particularly like, primarily because of the presence of Mrs. Ritchie.

55. "La-dee-da, la-dee-da," "Annie Hall," 1977.
This film's loaded with great lines. This one isn't all that memorable.

56. "A boy's best friend is his mother," "Psycho," 1960.
It's become a cliche. Next.

57. "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good," "Wall Street," 1987.
Great stuff, especially if you work in financial services.

58. "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer," "The Godfather Part II," 1974.
Good stuff. Not great.

59. "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again," "Gone With the Wind," 1939.
I've expressed my opinion of GWTW too many times already.

60. "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!", "Sons of the Desert," 1933.
And why the heck are Stan and Ollie so far down on the list?

61. "Say 'hello' to my little friend!", "Scarface," 1983.
Never liked this version.

62. "What a dump," "Beyond the Forest," 1949.
Ehhhh.

63. "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?", "The Graduate," 1967.
Perhaps my favorite line in the film.

64. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!", "Dr. Strangelove," 1964.
A real classic.

65. "Elementary, my dear Watson," "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," 1929.
Basil Rathbone was so freaking cool as Sherlock. And someone should tell the AFI that it came out in 1939, not 1929.

66. "Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape," "Planet of the Apes," 1968.
A favorite.

67. "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine," "Casablanca," 1942.
Casablanca. Great stuff.

68. "Here's Johnny!", "The Shining," 1980.
Too pat. Sorry.

69. "They're here!", "Poltergeist," 1982.
Too cutesy.

70. "Is it safe?", "Marathon Man," 1976.
One of the reasons I avoid the dentist like the plague.

71. "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!", "The Jazz Singer," 1927.
Historically important. I never liked the film.

72. "No wire hangers, ever!", "Mommie Dearest," 1981.
It's become a cliche.

73. "Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?", "Little Caesar," 1930.
Great stuff.

74. "Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown," "Chinatown," 1974.
Aged badly.

75. "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers," "A Streetcar Named Desire," 1951.
Yawn.

76. "Hasta la vista, baby," "Terminator 2: Judgment Day," 1991.
Arnold should be very grateful.

77. "Soylent Green is people!", "Soylent Green," 1973.
Eddie G's the redeeming feature of this film.

78. "Open the pod bay doors, HAL," "2001: A Space Odyssey," 1968.
A great personal favorite.

79. Striker: "Surely you can't be serious." Rumack: "I am serious ... and don't call me Shirley," "Airplane!", 1980.
Funny indeed.

80. "Yo, Adrian!", "Rocky," 1976.
Cliche.

81. "Hello, gorgeous," "Funny Girl," 1968.
Anything with that horrid woman in it is going to get a negative reaction from me. End of discussion.

82. "Toga! Toga!", "National Lampoon's Animal House," 1978.
Not my top choice from Animal House, but the film is definitely a personal favorite and the archetypical slob comedy.

83. "Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make," "Dracula," 1931.
Great stuff. Bela was very cool.

84. "Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast," "King Kong," 1933.
Classic.

85. "My precious," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," 2002.
A great realization of Tolkein's vision.

86. "Attica! Attica!", "Dog Day Afternoon," 1975.
Not one of my favorites.

87. "Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!", "42nd Street," 1933.
I never liked the Busby Berkley type of film.

88. "Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you forget it. You're going to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go!", "On Golden Pond," 1981.
Not one of my favorites.

89. "Tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper," "Knute Rockne, All American," 1940.
OK, it's a cliche. It's still great.

90. "A martini. Shaken, not stirred," "Goldfinger," 1964.
Another Fuckin' A for Mr. Connery.

91. "Who's on first," "The Naughty Nineties," 1945.
The entire routine should be enshrined.

92. "Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac ... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!", "Caddyshack," 1980.
Another personal favorite slob comedy.

93. "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!", "Auntie Mame," 1958.
Eh.

94. "I feel the need -- the need for speed!", "Top Gun," 1986.
Uh, yeah.

95. "Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary," "Dead Poets Society," 1989.
Never liked the film.

96. "Snap out of it!", "Moonstruck," 1987.
I don't like the rest of the film, but this line is great.

97. "My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you," "Yankee Doodle Dandy," 1942.
Not my favorite Cagney film.

98. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner," "Dirty Dancing," 1987.
The food is terrible, and such small portions!

99. "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!", "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.
Perhaps my favorite line from "Wizard".

100. "I'm king of the world!", "Titanic," 1997
Although the film wasn't as gruesomely schmaltzy as I thought it would be, remember one thing. Everybody knows the boat sinks.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search