Wednesday, June 01, 2005

 

Justice, n. A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and persona

I suppose I've finally arrived. I got my first 419 e-mail yesterday. A quick look at the headers showed it came from Portugal, a somewhat unusual place for a mugu (I thought nothing ever happens in Portugal other than fleecing tourists in the Algarve) but since I'm a bit busy at the moment I don't have any huge desire to do a scam bait with him (thinking out loud, I'd have to adopt a persona, but I'd suppose any use of Milburn Drysdale or that ilk would be quickly Googled and the Ibo equivalent of "yebat mashu vat!" hurled my way).

I reviewed the Yellow Matter Custard CD back on September 13, and a recent note from Neal Morse's Radiant Records indicated that they had DVDs of the performance available (Mike Portnoy's site is the primary source for these, but since I rarely venture there, I had no idea about this DVD until I got the e-mail from Radiant). Good thing I ordered it when I did, as Radiant only had a few of them available. Overall, it's a pretty low-budget production, only two cameras, decent sound and editing, but I wouldn't say it's a great rendition of the show visually, as the camerafolk were clueless (focusing on Portnoy during guitar solos, that sort of thing). A couple of interesting tidbits that I didn't particularly realize from the recording - Morse was playing a brand-new (at least it appeared to be) Rickenbacker 360/12 for some numbers, Matt Bissonette was playing an Epiphone clone of a Hofner (which of course is a nice little irony, since the Hofner was probably originally intended as an el-cheapo version of a Gibson EB-1), and Paul Gilbert was playing a couple of pointy Schechters (he had both a 6 and a 12 string). Portnoy looked like he had Blue Oyster Pearl Ludwigs, close enough. I could pick out one Vox AC30 on stage (probably for Morse) and it looked like Gilbert was playing through a Laney rig. My comments about the performance still hold, a very nice effort, sounding just a touch off, though. It's forgivable in view of the effort and respect that these musicians put into the performance.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search