Tuesday, July 19, 2005

 

Overrated Music

A post on great rock covers on Blogcritics led me to a blog with a few observations on the most overrated rock songs of all time. Needless to say, I couldn't resist the opportunity to exercise a meme (I know, cheap post not requiring thinking, but then again, I'm busy, so I really don't have a lot of time to craft one of my trenchant missives). Without further adieu - my list:

"Imagine" - treacly stuff from one of Lennon's more hypocritical periods. An instant dial-changer for me if it pops up on the car radio. It's used all too often as an anthem by the naive and for kinderspiel school shows and the like. No one dislikes the notion of whirled peas, but any semi-sentient individual knows that playing "Imagine" in some of the terror-sponsoring areas will likely get your head chopped off.

"Proud Mary" by Tina Turner - Everyone knows that Tina's one of the two best female R&B singers on the planet (Aretha being the other) and that "River Deep Mountain High" should be enshrined in the top three of R&B records (the other two being Aretha's "Respect" and Otis' "Try A Little Tenderness"). But frankly, this version has never done anything for me - it's a stage production number and if anything subtracts from the song with the annoying arrangement. It's been said that the reason John Fogerty started doing Creedence songs again was to counter the perception that everyone thought "Proud Mary" was a Tina original...

"American Pie" - Tripe, pure and simple. Cutesy lyrics with sophmoric allusions, and McLean's prejudices on the evolution of rock come through loud and clear. If you want to remember Buddy Holly, may I suggest playing a Buddy Holly song (my personal favorite Buddy Holly covers other than the obvious one if you've been reading this blog for any length of time are Marshall Crenshaw's version of "Crying, Waiting, Hoping" and a live cover John Fogerty did of "Rave On").

Pink Floyd - Practically everything by Dave, Roger, Nick, Rick and Syd. "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" was unlistenable, "Dark Side Of The Moon", "Animals" and "The Wall" are giant soporifics (the only thing that keeps me awake during "Dark Side" is the damned alarm clock going off). The only Pink Floyd piece I really like is "Wish You Were Here".

More later....

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search